An appeal about iris.....one more setback!

  • Subject: [iris-photos] An appeal about iris.....one more setback!
  • From: Elmsterj@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 22:15:54 EDT

Hi, everyone!

       I just had an email from Ken Trimmer, telling me that what he had as Merlin's Mantle (my RH) probably was not it.  I went to the iris photo site at the Aril robin at Yahoo, and indeed the photos Ken posted there (under POKY PIX) with the notification that it probably was not Merlin's Mantle but rather Merlin's Magic instead is true.  I almost bought Merlin's Mantle from the ASI sale last summer, but since someone had sent me some starts of it, I didn't.  Now I am curious as to whether anyone bought Merlin's Mantle from the plant sale last year (I don't know who donated it), wondering if they got the right thing.  I lost it in that flood some years back, and I'd like to have it again.

       Merlin's Magic:  S. deep maroon brown, electric violet flush on midrib; lavender
                    pink styles, cocoa brown crests; falls darker brown, violet
                    flush below yellow beard.

       Merlin's Mantle: S. pale lavender, widely banded honey gold; lavender-white
                    styles, honey gold crests; F. pale violet, widely banded honey
                    gold, white veining at hafts; white beard tipped yellow.

       As you can see, the two iris are radically different in color.  Please make sure you have the right iris before passing either of these along under the wrong name.

Thanks, Elm

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor