Re: Navaho Jewel TB/photo technique

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Navaho Jewel TB/photo technique
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 12:50:29 EDT

In a message dated 5/25/2003 8:41:24 PM Central Daylight Time, chris.darlington@sympatico.ca writes:

That's a DARN good photo of a beautiful Iris.

Thanks Chris. This photo was accomplished by using the exposure level feature of the digital camera. The exposure adjustment on a digital camera is roughly equivalent to the f stop adjustment on a 35 mm SLR camera. The difference being that on a digital camera exposure level has the effect of darkening the background where on the 35 mm, f stop has the effect of blurring the background.

The spot metering mode was used to shoot the picture with the iris bloom to the right as the metering point. The pic was then cropped to frame the flowers as they are depicted and the image sharpened lightly with computer software. I did play for a while attempting to get the beard color correct but eventually got lazy, threw away the effort, and posted what the camera said it looked like.

More than point and click, more than most want to know, more buttons than I know how to use, and more irises I do not have than do.

So goes life at the empire.

Bill Burleson 7a/b

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor