Re: file format - jpg

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] file format - jpg
  • From: John Jones jijones@usjoneses.com
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 22:08:49 -0700

Linda Mann wrote:

> bmp files do not get stored in the archives so that they can be viewed
> online.  They have to be downloaded, which some of us are trying to
> avoid.
> John, can you comment on bmp vs jpg or other file formats on this forum?

Well, I think we need to clear some things up.

In order to view any format picture file, it has to be "downloaded" to
your system. There are two different types of "download".

The first occurs when the picture is placed in a temporary spot in your
computer memory (also often on your hard drive in the browser cache -
also temporary) that allows you to view it in your browser window.

The second type of download occurs when the file is stored on your hard
drive and remains there until you remove it.

When viewing pictures in the Yahoo groups iris-photos archives, to view
a picture you have to click a "download" button. This is the first type
of download. The file comes to your computer but is not permanently
stored there.

When viewing a photo in the Mallorn iris-photos archives the picture
file is automatically downloaded to your browser when you select a
message to read. (I suppose there are some browsers that allow you to
make the browser ask first). This also is the first type of download.

.jpg format is the preferred way to post a picture to the list because
it provides a compressed file structure and takes less time to download.

.bmp is an acceptable file format but less desirable because of its size.

Both bmp and jpg files are stored on both the Yahoo and the Mallorn
archives.  (e.g., the picture of Red Zinger that Clem sent is in both
archives.) That is not to say that Yahoo does not lose some files, and
it may well be a function of file size, I do not know. I would expect
that if Yahoo loses a message it will not turn up in the Mallorn
archives as well.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Director, American Iris Society