  • Subject: [iris-photos] OT-Zone
  • From: Mickey Corley mcorley@compuserve.com
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 04:55:56 -0400

Do Zones change?  When I subscribed to these lists, I had forgotten what
the Master Gardener course taught me, so I looked it up in a gardening book
I had - it showed I was on the border line between Zone 5/6.  Then
yesterday, I happened to glance at the zones in a Birds & Blooms magazine
and it showed I was definitely in Zone 7.  I went back to the book
(America's Garden Book, by Bush-Brown) and discovered this was a map
printed in 1936 by the US Dept. of Agriculture.

I do recall Master Gardener taught me that Oklahoma was split east & west
and north and south for plant growing conditions and Oklahoma City was
right at the junction where these  different growing conditions meet.

Until I subscribed to these lists I paid no attention to the Zone.  I
learned from experience what grew good for me and what didn't.

Mickey Corley
Bethany, OK - Center of Oklahoma USA
Who doesn't know what Zone she's in!