iris denizon

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] iris denizon
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 12:13:18 -0500

Isn't he great?  A good friend in my iris beds.  It's extremely gratifying
to see them chow down on a full grown grasshopper.  I had two in the iris
beds carved among the rock outcroppings last year.  I keep hoping they'll
raise a family and abide in all the flower beds, but I think those without
rocks aren't going to be much to their liking.  They are a major reason I
loathe dragging out the insecticide to fight the grasshoppers.  I don't know
what it might do to them.  I'm awfully relieved to see this back since the
spraying last year.

A huge tree lizard excavated a hole 5 inches in diameter in one of the
non-rock beds.  By sunset the hole was filled back in.  I think I can expect
a hatching of little one inch lizards sometime this summer.  But my
goodness, she was a big, fierce looking thing.  Probably eight inches long
and the scales were sticking up like spines.  She did not have a congenial
look while digging that hole.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Yahoo! Groups Links