Re: OT: another reptile

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] OT: another reptile
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 13:48:05 -0500

> What other wildlife creatures visit?

A number of birds hang around.  I have a new one this year that's very tiny
but I can't manage to get a good look at it.  Armadillos visit.  I'm not too
fond of what they can do, but usually they don't do a lot of damage.  They
can if they go into a digging frenzy.  However their latest favorite food
seems to be found in fireant mounds.  When they dig into one, it's gone.
Either the ants move or they've been devoured.  The dogs find the armadillos
too boring to chase.  Cottontails are another matter, but they still take up
residence in the iris beds.  I see them but the dogs usually don't realize
they are there.  Racoons come, but either of the dogs will kill them if they
catch them, so they've become less common.  At least the cow feed is safe.
Copperheads and rattlesnakes both show up a few times in the warm months.
Not my favorite visitors.  Green grass snakes, checkered grass snakes,
chicken snakes, prairie racers or coach whips all will be seen here at one
time or another.  Really only three lizards are around.  The one I posted,
tree lizards and a skeezix? - the long slender green striped one who's tail
will turn loose and wiggle for a while.  A great benefit to the lizard when
the dogs grab one.  The dogs get so distracted by the tail the lizard makes
a clean getaway and grows another tail.  The dogs aren't supposed to bother
the lizards, but sometimes it seems too much for them to resist.  Toad
frogs.  Lots of those.  Possums and skunks.  The dogs are ambiguous about
both of those.  Sometimes they pester them and other times leave them alone.
Deer rarely make it here since the dogs came, but one did manage to come in
and browse on a little red oak tree.  At least they are coming and making
scrapes out of them like they did a couple of years ago.  They set back
fifteen years of growing on the little oak trees.  Coyotes come close, but
no longer come inside the yard.  Neither of the dogs would welcome that.  On
the other hand I think the coyotes are curious about the dogs and come just
outside the yard more often.  At least it seems so.  Maybe they just make
more noise with the dogs around than they did before.  And, finally, one of
my least favorite things to have around - field mice.  The last several
years they been present in abundance.  They seem to be everywhere.  I've
even seen them in the oak trees at night.  I keep expecting one to find or
chew its way into the house, but so far that hasn't happened.  The garage
and storerooms are another matter.  When winter comes they try to locate
indoors, but they don't necessarily evacuate when it warms up.  They are a
plague and a nuisance.

Yahoo! Groups Links