Re: ID Spuria

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] ID Spuria
  • From: Robt R Pries <rpries@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 10:57:45 -0700 (PDT)

I took another look at Theresa's picture. given a choice between 'Kaibab Trail' and 'Proverb' there is no question which it is; but Jean may be correct when she says this is 'Redwood Supreme'. This is the type of problem that drives creators of checklists crazy. They would be much easier to sort out at time of introduction so that better descriptions could be created and comparisons made. I am by no means an expert on spurias and gathering information, is not all that easy because many of the questions that need to be answered are not written into the litearture. This is why I depend on the collective knowledge of those in the plant societies. And when a checklist is finally produced it needs to be proofed by several knowledgeable people.

Robt R Pries <rpries@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Jean;

?Redwood Supreme? and ?Kaibab Trails? are similar but can be told apart. ?Kaibab Trails? is a darker Iris, the standards are almost wholly maroon brown, the falls have a flash of yellow in the center but it does not take up the majority of the blade of the fall as in ?Redwood Supreme?. Also ?Redwood Supreme? has a flash of yellow of the standards unlike ?Kaibab Trails?. These differences are fairly easily discerned from photos of each. This is why I have hopes of completing an illustrated checklist. There are some cultivars that photos appear very much alike and in those cases comments on coloring need to be made from someone who is growing both plants and can compare. This is the type of question a recorder might try to make note of during the time of introduction of the cultivar.

Jean Sturtevant <jms1027@cableone.net> wrote:

Redwood Supreme?

I have one that looks a lot like it and that?s as close as we could come last year when I posted

The same question.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links