Re: ID Spuria

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] ID Spuria
  • From: Robt R Pries <rpries@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 16:28:08 -0700 (PDT)

Wouldn?t it be nice if we lived in a perfect world. But alas! I can not give you a definitive answer as to whether you have ?Kaibab Trails? or Redwood Supreme?. Maybe by the end of summer I will have accumulated enough evidence. At the moment I favor ?Redwood Supreme?. I am quite good at identifying species and many other groups but spurias are not my strongest area of expertise. Nonetheless I know from past experience, that no matter how greta the authority everyone makes mistakes in identification. I have seen many cases of famous Botanical Gardens mislabeling plants. I also have received seeds from famous plantsman that were not even close. The possibility that you may have received the wrong iris is always real, no matter where you buy from. Part of the problem is the tools we have to work with. I hope to improve that. But pictures can still be misleading. Plants grown in different soil and weather conditions can also be strikingly different.  But if the Iris lovers work together some of these problems can be eliminated. But unfortunately I suspect the process of identification will always have some problems. The question is can we do better?

Theresa Yates <tjyates@direcway.com> wrote:
I still have the printed bill sheet unless there was some mix up it was Kaihbab Trails, Proverb, & Janice Chesnik.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links