Balloon Pods

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Balloon Pods
  • From: "Patrick Orr" <irisdude@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 19:49:20 -0700
  • Seal-send-time: Sat, 22 May 2004 19:49:20 -0700

Ever have a pod develop, only to watch it shrivel away to nothingness or have no seeds inside?  Wonder what causes this?

I think it is due to incomplete fertilization of the ovary, but I don't know for sure.  I am no expert.  I just wanted to share a photo of one to help everyone know what is going on inside.  I call these balloon pods.

I now look at all the pods in my yard and wonder what is going on truly inside.

Guess I won't know until they mature.

Patrick Orr
Phoenix, AZ

Zone 9 USA