Re: SIB: Sea Shadows

  • Subject: Re: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] SIB: Sea Shadows
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 01:32:43 -0400

Christy, that is a beautiful *and* accurate photo of 'Sea Shadows.'.  One thing you do not include is how the height compares to the presumably normal height in the registration.
I still have some of the named diploids with blooms, but our weather has been awful for photography.  Two of the late bearded ones just started blooming today, but why bother making crosses?  They just rot off or the stalk rots out from underneath them.
I could try photographing 'Sea Shadows' as it is growing here, and 'Baby Sister' as well.  I think the only other diploid still in bloom is 'Butter and Sugar.'  It has finally gotten acclimated and started to grow in a reasonably healthy manner
All my siberians from you, including the siberian-type JS hybrids, but not the blue and white NO-ID's that are their siberian papas, are blooming rather short.  The *Iris caucasia* seedlings from SIGNA seed had several that bloomed, all identical or nearly so, as one would expect of a self-pollinated set from a clone one generation away from the wild (or so I assume).  The foliage character is particularly interesting as it is quite different from usual siberian clones.  It is very narrow, fairly tall compared to other siberians in the area of the garden in which they are growing, but the foliage is a bit yellower than what I would assume healthy specimens of this would be.
None of my presumed-to-be seedlings from 'Flight of Butterflies' are thriving.  The foliage remains at about 2" tall and many perished over the winter.  None bloomed.  I am going to set some of them out into beds where other siberians and the sino-siberians you sent for me for a "torture-test" are growing.  Those, incidentally, are thriving so far in our relatively cool, (high seventies to low eighties max) with a daily shower or thunderstorm cycle at work.
Out in better conditions 'Ruffled Velvet' and a NO-ID of the 'Caesar's Brother' sort bloomed at normal height, and your 'Adrenaline Rush' has become a huge clump with a lot of bloomstalks.  Many stalks have three buds. It is getting JI culture with very abundant moisture available.  It couldn't be happier.
I have found a substantial supply of *pseudacorus* plants and flowers and currently have one in bloom in a tub on the deck.  The clone nearly lacks a signal.  There is just a halo of short dashes where the signal should end, and a few short lines where some color is expressed in the veins of the signal area.  It does not have the size or substance of the *pseudacorus* seedlings I grew in Idaho, but weather and soil conditions may account for the difference.   I tried some of its poorly-developed pollen (rain issues) on 'Adrenaline Rush' just for the fun of it.  As far as I can tell, no pod is developing.
Mice and Voles ate most of my JI's except for the JS hybrid ones, planted a long ways from the big advanced-generation named pure Ensatas.  I have a small remnant of two, plus the violet single near-species type mama of the JS hybrids which the mice ignored.  I find that interesting.  There was no interest shown by mice or voles in any of the JS clumps either.
I've ranged pretty far afield of commenting on your photo of Sea Shadows. have I not.
Neil Mogensen   z 7  western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links