Re: Here's what happens with a little rain

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Here's what happens with a little rain
  • From: "Cheryl Leigh Chamberlin" <clc@cherylleigh.com>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 14:22:42 -0400

Boy, that looks like my garden! I have had to stake just about everything
this year! I don't think it's necessarily the size of the bloom, though. For
instance I just staked two Helen Collingwood stalks and that's not a huge
bloom. I have one other that's standing nice and tall and straight. I think,
in my garden anyway, it's the weather. It turned hot and sunny quickly, all
my irises rushed to open, and on a lot of stalks, several flowers were or
are open all at once. They just got too heavy to stand up in the sun.

My bloom season is a drag. Just about everything came up but they all
decided to come up at once instead of spreading themselves out. I think my
garden will be about finished by the end of this week, which makes my bloom
season a whopping 18 days. Last year I had new blooms opening in June. :(

Only thing left to open is STARSHIP ENTERPRISE, which has one stalk with a
rotted terminal bud and only one live bud which should open tomorrow.

Cheryl Leigh