RE: Here's what happens with a little rain

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] Here's what happens with a little rain
  • From: "Harold Peters" <harold@directcon.net>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 11:35:43 -0700

The answer to staked blooms is NO. However an occasional fallen stalk with 3
open blooms, rain and strong winds is acceptable. Insect damage is another
cause of fallen stalks that may be acceptable.

During the 1996 AIS National Convention, I visited a convention garden in
the Red Bluff area. The winds were so strong that the flowers were stripped
off the stalks that did not fall over. No solution is prefect given what
nature can do.

My recommendation is to discard any cultivar whose performance is not
acceptable to the garden owner. Stalks falling is just one aspect of
evaluating a cultivar.

Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road