Re: Disease? Frost? Twisted Stalk

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Disease? Frost? Twisted Stalk
  • From: "Katherine Cordes" <acordes@freeway.net>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 21:56:33 -0400

Here in Michigan, I refer to that type of deformity as "Late-frost
damage."   I was just outside tonight, and my stalks are just now
forming.  I am *praying* for NO FROSTS! That would really put a crimp
in my iris bud/stalk program.  Never-the-less, I do have some stalks
twisting like yours are.  We had about 1 inch of snow fall 3 weeks ago,
right about the time the IB's were just forming buds in the base of the
fans.  I would say your twisted/deformed stalks would be from late
frost damage.  Not much you can do to prevent it . . . except for maybe
covering your iris in frost-prone weather in the spring. :-}  Or, you
could plant later blooming varieties. . . :-)

Region 6
Zone 4.5
Hillman, Michigan

> I have a few (maybe 2 %) of my irises showing stunted twisted stalks.
> there is a little rot in a few irises and some fungus, that doesn't
appear to
> be the case with the twisted ones.  A neighbor also had a couple
which were
> actually spiraled or looped.  Could this have been caused by the
extreme cold
> last winter (-20 to  -25 F.)? Or something else?  I recently noticed
a few wire
> worms while checking for rot but I don't think it was these same
> Thanks so much, in advance,
> Sharon Engstrom
> Colville, WA
> Zone 4b