Re: Question from newbie

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Question from newbie
  • From: "Vera Shotwell" <vshotwel@dreamscape.com>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 22:41:26 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "Vera Shotwell" <vshotwel@d...>
wrote:
>  Hello all
>
> Three years ago in the fall, I planted a bed of "black" iris of
> several different varieties, so this is the second year I've had
> blooms. Last year, all was well. However, this year I've got
> something strange going on! There are yellow tall bearded among
them,
> and another shorter one that I believe is a Siberian type (with
> narrow falls) that's purple and yellow. Can anyone tell me what has
> happened?
>
> Thanks, Vera Shotwell

All the iris were purchased mailorder from reputable companies by
variety. I just checked my established beds of old-fashioned purple
iris which have been here several years, and I see some strangers
appearing in them!!!! Is it possible that cross-pollination has
occurred? I know nothing about iris breeding.

Vera