Re: Re: Question from newbie

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] Re: Question from newbie
  • From: <willwarner@alltel.net>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 19:58:58 -0500

Vera, Even reputable sources make mistakes.  I've often received the iris
next to the one I ordered.  If you think this is the case you should let
them know and they will likely replace them.  Cross pollenation would
only happen if they'd been there several years, and you'd let them make
pods.  Work the soil, distribute the seeds in the same bed, and it would
still be a couple years before those seeds would bloom. You've probably
just received the wrong iris.  It's hard to tell what color the bloom is
when they don't have a bloom stalk on them.  :) Will Warner

     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "Vera Shotwell" <vshotwel@d...>
wrote:
>  Hello all
>
> Three years ago in the fall, I planted a bed of "black" iris of
> several different varieties, so this is the second year I've had
> blooms. Last year, all was well. However, this year I've got
> something strange going on! There are yellow tall bearded among
them,
> and another shorter one that I believe is a Siberian type (with
> narrow falls) that's purple and yellow. Can anyone tell me what has
> happened?
>
> Thanks, Vera Shotwell

All the iris were purchased mailorder from reputable companies by
variety. I just checked my established beds of old-fashioned purple
iris which have been here several years, and I see some strangers
appearing in them!!!! Is it possible that cross-pollination has
occurred? I know nothing about iris breeding.

Vera