Re: Query: Camera colors

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Query: Camera colors
  • From: "Pearl Doyle" <pdoyle@our-town.com>
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 21:19:23 -0500

Sharon your camera should take some very nice pictures and you shouldn't have to rely on a photo program to correct it. I was having some trouble with focus and lighting with my new camera and thanks to some very nice people in this group, and some good suggestions, I have starting getting much better pictures.. The thing that comes to mind for color is the white balance. I played with that on my camera and got 5 pictures of the same bloom that looked like an entirely different flower. That being said, I think the auto setting still takes the best picture for color on mine. The second tip (from Bill Burleson) that I have found most useful is the metering setting. I believe he said he uses the spot metering feature (over the multi metering feature) with better results. since I have changed mine to spot metering, I am getting pictures that are truer to color. The interesting thing I found was that if you focus on a light color in the flower and underexpose your picture, the color looks much better. Unfortunately, I learned this trick after most of my bi-tone iris had bloomed, so I have a lot of washed out pictures this year. My daylilies are taking some excellent pictures though. I hope this is helpful.  Pearl