Re: Re: seedling

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: seedling
  • From: "jgcrump" jgcrump@erols.com
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 15:35:48 -0400

Donald  --  I have no scientific basis for thinking this, but I think that
the texture of the object plays a part in color perception.   You're right
that the standards are usually silky, rather than velvety.  I think that in
some such flowers, the falls are actually the same color as the stands, but
that the color is intensified by the texture of the falls, to the point
where the falls seem to be a different, deeper shade.

None of the three has LADY FRIEND  as a parent.  She almost always throws
red beards in my crosses.  985R4, the most velvety of the three, is from a
bee pod on 953P12: (Holy Night x 93RR2: (Margarita x Momauguin)).  MOMAUGUIN
has rather pale reddish-brown stands and nearly black falls of something I
can only describe as a crushed velvet texture and patent leather sheen.   I
see its heritage in this seedling, which I'd like to cross with a reblooming
red, preferably velvet.  Know of a good one?  --  Griff

zone 7 in Virginia