RE: Yellow/orange/pink

I’ve gone through some of my crosses to see what I could find in regards to
crosses involving orange, yellow with red beard, pink and white with red
beard. Some interesting results. These are not from complete records but from
pictures that I kept from these crosses so it tells what we can get but not
the ratios as complete records of these crosses were not kept.
But even so this is what I seem to have. By red beard I mean tangerine based
beard, which could be orange, coral or pink. Seldom flaming red, but
sometimes close. Some of the orange had lighter coloured standards and the
yellow had some infusions of orange in falls.

pink x white w/red beard usually gives pink, occasionally some white

orange X orange gives orange, sometimes all orange

yellow x yellow gives yellow no records as to other colours

yellow X white gave at least one pink, no records of other colours

pink X pink gives pinks, some apricots and some peach, various combinations

yellow X pink gives pink and yellows

yellow X orange gave1) orange, 2)pink standards and orange falls,3) yellow
standards and orange falls ( note , in both parents standards were yellow but
falls had some orange infusions and orange had lighter coloured standards)

There may have been other colours in these crosses but complete records were
not kept.

Of note re Chariots of Fire
It seems to have the yellow in Joyce Terry pattern plus solid pink. There was
no reduction of pink where yellow was present, so if lycopene converted to
carotene it didn’t reduce lycopene present or if it did then there was an
extra production of lycopene to replace what was used in conversion.
In intense oranges, extraction shows yellow pigment near maximum levels plus
lycopene near maximum levels, as if the pigments had different sources.

Most apricots and peach are probably from incomplete blockage of lycopene to
beta-carotene. Orange is yellow plus lycopene but the presence of yellow (
possibly beta-carotene) doesn't seem to reduce amount of lycopene present.

Chuck Chapman

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Yahoo! Groups Links