Re: about the question(s)

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: about the question(s)
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 20:36:58 -0000

Thanks Sharon,

I haven't ruled anything out on that group of seedlings.  There is an
ongoing list of reasons why I doubt the cross and why I think it's
possibly correct.  I'll probably never know for certain.  The fact the
the siblings set a pod, though, fell into the unlikely category.  I've
never obtained a pod of an AB- X AB- type.  The two pods I got last
year were no harder to get than pods using AB pollen.  One of the pods
only had 4 seeds and gave 100% germination (my first one ever! and
maybe the last).  The other pod had a really high seed count and good
germination.  There are close to 50 surviving seedlings, but only half
got planted out last year. This year I'm trying TB pollen for the
first time.  Looks like the usual very limited success.  Pods can be
obtained from the plants, but they don't come readily seemingly.

However, I have had a few plants obtained using AB pollen bloom.
Germination is low, the plants aren't vigorous, the blooms weren't
very nice...but every one that bloomed had the signal pattern.  A
couple were bloomouts, some didn't bloom again this year and others
have yet to bloom.  They really aren't stalwart plants.  Survival has
been miserable.  But getting a signal pattern would make them worth
using in the hopes that at some time or another the plant would be at
least decently hearty.

Donald