PHOTO: ALPENVIEW [Donald Eaves]

  • Subject: [iris-photos] PHOTO: ALPENVIEW [Donald Eaves]
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 09:00:55 -0400

Donald, you have a beautiful photo of ALPENVIEW.

Not only does the parentage (Crowned Heads X Fogbound) arouse great
interest, but I am finding the growth habit, foliage and disease resistance
of the cv to be of the finest order.  Its close kin, WINTRY SKY, is a close
second.

Alpenview has grown and increased the best of any of Keith Keppel's irises I
have here, and I have a two year clump that has come through freezes with at
least two surviving first-rate stalks despite the loss of at least three
other potential bloomstalks.  Compared to the norms for TB behavior under
our difficult conditions here, this is phenomenal.

Winter damage has cost me the majority of my bloom throughout the garden.
It is clear that Alpenview has exceptional and superior potential.

I have plans for a number of crosses between it and a number of other
excellent Fogbound seedlings under review for possible introduction.  I also
have an eye on other seedlings that could be possible mates.

Considering the pedigree of Alpenview one could go a number of directions in
its use as a parent.  It could be an excellent source of refreshed quality
in pinks in general.  The potential also for superior tangerine-bearded or
pastel pink-bearded dark-tops is obvious.

One could also head off into the deeper blues, pastel violets and even the
very dark purples.  What a delightful potential it offers!

Neil Mogensen  z 7 Reg 4 western NC mountains