Re: RE: Yellow/orange/pink

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] RE: Yellow/orange/pink
  • From: arilbredbreeder@cs.com
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 12:42:01 EDT

I have a question for our TB experts.

About 15 years ago, I noticed that while pinkish arilbreds are well known for losing their pink tints in the sun there were a few that actually grew pinker with age.  So I started examining flowers with a magnifying glass, hoping to distinguish between the anthocyanin overlay that produces a pinkish effect and true lycopene ground color.

I soon observed a "new" pattern in my arilbred seedling patch.  New in quotes because it has probably been around a long time but hidden by an overlay of darker pigments.   I've attributed it to either TB heritage or an interaction of TB & aril pathways.  I dubbed it "pixelated" from my background with computers.

Each cell was distinctly colored, but some were yellow and some were pink.  The distribution appeared to be a random one, rather than in a specific pattern, but the ratio of pink to yellow differed from seedling to seedling.  The result was a pinkish-yellow appearance.

I've never seen anything like this in arils.  Have any of you noticed it in TBs?  If so, what are your thoughts regarding its origin?

Sharon McAllister

Yahoo! Groups Links