Re: HIST: unknown bronze

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HIST: unknown bronze
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 12:13:02 -0400

Thanks Brian - when I first read your post, I thought <no way this iris
is from the 1950s!>, but looked at my precious 1960 Schreiner's catalog,
and it certainly does look similar.  The catalog touts it as an
improvement over CASA MORENA, which looks like another possibility, plus
says it was very popular, so presumably widely distributed.

Do you think your mom would swap me a start of it for comparison?

GINGER (R. Schreiner, R. 1953). TB, 37", M-L, Y1.  Golden-tan self,
deeper solid throat.  (Bryce Canyon x ((Prairie Sunset x (Aubanel x
sdlng. 81-36))) X Casa Morena.

Nothing in that pedigree listed in the reblooming checklist. I couldn't
find anything in the online checklist with GINGER in the pedigree.

INCA CHIEF (1952) is the only brownish TB from that era that I've found
any indication of being a known carrier of rebloom.

<Have you considered Ginger which is a Schreiner's intro from the
1950's?  Brian Davis
                   Champaign, Illinois>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8