RE: TB Newbie

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] TB Newbie
  • From: "Harold Peters" harold@directcon.net
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 10:19:07 -0700

I was hoping that someone would be the "grump" but since no one else has been, I will.  The R&I (annual registration and introduction booklet) and the Iris Check List (for each decade) are the basic documents that contain the official description of iris cultivars. There are no color standards approved by AIS. The descriptions are minimal with no attempt to distinguish that cultivar from other similar cultivars. Almost all of the potential distinguishing characteristics of an iris are subject to change from garden to garden, over time, cultural practices and weather. There is no verification of any of the information contained on the registration form. There are hybridizers who apparently distain the registration process even when using it to their advantage.
Given all these apparent negatives, the registration process is still both reasonable and useful. It could be improved but probably wouldn't be in the reasonable future. I would not recommend your acquiring all of the Check Lists. I would recommend your joining the AIS iris database instead. The learning process you are experiencing has been done by countless others, myself included. It is a process filled with trial and error but especially error.
Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road
El Dorado Hills, CA 95762