Re: TB Newbie

Harold,

I don't think you are a "grump"! Rather you are much more optimistic
than I.
My opinion would be that even attempting to id an UFO amongst OVER
54,000 varities, should be strongly discouraged! Except in rare cases
where there are several factors that contribute to a chance of it being
an accurate id - such as true distinction, way more than just one
photograph, a far more complete description of the noid (bud count,
rebloom behavior, etc.) over a period of years, - identification only
leads to the propogation of trial and error, mostly error.

When I share my iris wealth with the neighbors, I prefer to share the
known ones. But if there is any question at all on a varietal name, it
stays with the status of NOID. Most beneficiaries really don't care,
past, it's an iris and it's pretty....

cathy

--
Catherine Button    Network Administrator and corporate irritant