Re: BETTY McPHERSON AB

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] BETTY McPHERSON AB
  • From: arilbredbreeder@cs.com
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 08:49:50 EDT

Not one of mine, so I can comment freely without being deemed prejudiced <G>.

Just look at that double beard -- the best I've seen outside my own seedling patch.

While its signal is a set of lines rather than solid, it covers a relatively large area and the "spray" pattern on the falls suggests that it carries the genetic potential for an exceptionally large signal area.  Aesthetically, I don't like signals that exceed the classic 3:5 ratio, but I do like breeding stock that can produce them.  Much better to evaluate and cull seedlings you have than to not get them at all!

The downside is that it is of unknown parentage, so most of us wouldn't use it in hybridizing.  While I wish I knew it's background, I'm well aware that the original C.G. White amphidiploidlike hybrids were without pedigree and that we don't live in the "best of all possible worlds".

This could be a breakthrough breeder, pedigree or no.  If I were still hybridizing on a large scale and had this -- I wouldn't leave one flower uncrossed or let a single grain of its pollen go to waste!

Sharon McAllister

Yahoo! Groups Links