Re: SEAKIST & luminata genotype/phenotype

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: SEAKIST & luminata genotype/phenotype
  • From: "irischap" irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 05:08:54 -0000

It indeed has some of that look to the falls but it seems to be a
different genetic contol. With Seakist it would appear to be a result
of several dosages of Is, which causes the anthocyanin, especially
softer colours, to move to the rim, in what is reffered to as the Emma
Cook pattern. A check of paarentage would also suggest that , as
several amoenas (Is) in the background and no plicatas.

Chuck Chapman

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "David Ferguson" <manzano57@m...>
wrote:
> This seems like an interesting case.  There is no anthocyanin of
notice on the standards, but the falls look luminata-ish, like a
luminata/plicata, or is that fancy plicata.

> I probably haven't been paying close enough attention, but are there
any luminatas with standards that lack anthocyanin pigmentation?  I
know it occurs in plicatas.  I know of others that are similar to
'Seakist' that are perhaps a bit closer to looking luminata (weaker
striping on the haft or almost white falls), but none that are all the
way there.  'Clarence', 'Fuji's Mantle',  'Mission Ridge', and
'Starship Enterprise' come to mind.

> On a different but related vein; there are a few yellows, like
'Buttered Popcorn' that remind me of luminatas.  Is there a connection?