Re: Diploid bearded 'Kupari' offspring

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Diploid bearded 'Kupari' offspring
  • From: thomas silvers tesilvers@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 04:11:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Jan,
It's funny that you noticed that. I didn't realize
that the picture showed it, but I noticed that just
yesterday myself. This is the second year blooming for
this seedling. Last year, I was so interested in its
color, size and form, that I hadn't noticed the little
rudimentary extensions (I hesistate to call them horns
because they are so small). But yesterday, I noticed
them. There is definitely something raised up
underneath the end of the beard. I pollinated this
flower with pollen from the large plicata (in the
bottom blurry picture). I think this plicata had a
purple line on the fall extending from the beard -- I
know some of them did. Maybe some of the offspring
will have the purple and extensions.
In any case, I haven't really gotten into Space Age
irises much. But, it might be interesting to see how
the genetics would work out at this diploid level.

Do you Yahoo!?

Yahoo! Groups Links