HYB: SB 11-13 and SB 11-1

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] HYB: SB 11-13 and SB 11-1
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 23:21:03 -0400

SB 11-13: Barbara My Love X Keppel 99-41:(Last Laugh x My Ginny)
As in the other "SB" seedling, this cross was made for me in Keith Keppel's garden following a somewhat general description of my objective.  This seedling is a pale version of exactly what I had in mind, and I expect to use it in breeding.  The seedling below is a sibling.
SB 11-1, sib to the one pictured above
Note the tip of the bud showing at the bottom of the frame.  That is the color of the *outside* of the fall, and spills around the edge at the distal end (far end) of the fall.  Wider and fuller than SB 11-13, it also has basically a better form, even though not as ruffled.
The mix of the small amount of Lycopene red pigment along with a faint amount of carotenoid yellow, perhaps beta-Carotene, is a subject that has been discussed recently on Iris-talk in several of those head-ache giving pigment and genetics posts in which some of us get caught up and others simply pass up. "Different strokes for different folks" for sure!
I looked up at the sky in the west this afternoon, didn't  particularly like what I saw, and headed to the house to grab the digital camera.
It is a good thing I did as a pounding rain with a certain amount of hail made hash of some of the day-old blossoms, and some others stood up to it right well.  This one did, but the photo is from before, not after, the hail.
Neil Mogensen  z 7  Region 4  western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Links