Re: HYB:R-14-6

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] HYB:R-14-6
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 14:36:31 -0400

Patricia, you are describing just how I see it in the garden.  This is a
beautiful plant, healthy foliage, good stalk and well-branched.  The bloom
has deep plush velvet in the falls, and is definitely the bitone.

That tear in the fall absorbs some of the ruffling of the fall, so an
undamaged bloom will probably have a more ruffled look.  It is hard to judge
this one where it is growing, as it is new, very raw soil with not a lot of
fertility.

I'm working on the spaces between raised rows to get a lot of humus into the
bed, lighten the soil texture and so on.  This one, and a lilac-blue sib
with pink beard are the definite "keepers" in addition to some I've already
selected out before.

I made the cross both directions, and have been wonderfully rewarded for my
efforts.  The R 19 cross, Power Woman X Fogbound, is I think somewhat better
in quality than the R 14 set which has Fogbound as the pod parent, but both
have seedlings that are wonderful garden subjects.

The article in the April AIS *Bulletin* has an article on "The Fogbound
Effect" by Silvain Ruaud on p. 89.  I couldn't agree more with the author
about the extraordinary quality as a parent this Keppel iris has.  It is
becoming increasingly apparent that this is one of the all-time great
"benchmarks" in iris development, joining the ranks of such irises as SNOW
FLURRY, PINK TAFFETA and a few others one encounters again and again in
quality pedigrees.

The other parent, Power Woman, under consideration for introduction, comes
from (Swingtown x Romantic Evening), so with several strong outcrosses in
succession in the ancestries of these seedlings, the genetic mix is
overwhelming in its potential.  The range of colors I've seen in crosses
with both these parents--Fogbound and Power Woman--is extraordinary and
rather a lot of fun.

Neil Mogensen  z 7  Reg 4  western NC mountains