SDB colors

This may be off-topic, because I haven't got my pictures ready to post
yet.  But I've been looking at the SDBs I bought last fall (Schreiner's and
Sutton's, and most of them are blooming this spring even though I didn't
bleach-treat them before planting and lost a few: good stock!) and while
they're all interesting, there are several in colors or blends that I don't
know how to use in a garden, and a few that I just can't bring myself to
like. I suppose I have two questions, then:

1)  What are good companion plants for SDBs like Pink Fawn (buff),
Auroralita (gray stipples on pale yellow and white), or even the "smoky"
pink of  Chanted?  What do people do with irises in shades of khaki,
chartreuse, or  gray-brown?

2) What's going on in the breeding or genetics of SDBs to produce so many
unique shades?  If you buy a collection of TBs, most of the color you get
will be clear, whether bold or pastel.  TBs like Thornbird, Electrique, or
even Boysenberry Buttercup are vastly outnumbered.  Do SDBs have different
color genes, different pattern genes, or are SDB breeders more fascinated
by these subtle colors than TB breeders? Or all of the above?

Dawn
who is still trying to match her blooming SDBs with the migrated labels and
can't find a picture of  "Details" anywhere online.  I'd have a better shot
if you guys weren't so generous -- about a third of what I have are bonus
iris, and I'm having enough trouble with the irises I ordered
deliberately!  But it sure adds to the excitement.