Re: SDB colors

At 02:37 PM 5/13/2005, you wrote:

>On May 12, 2005, at 12:21 PM, dawnsharon2001 wrote:
> > 1)  What are good companion plants for SDBs like Pink Fawn (buff),
> > Auroralita (gray stipples on pale yellow and white), or even the
> > "smoky"
> > pink of  Chanted?  What do people do with irises in shades of khaki,
> > chartreuse, or  gray-brown?
>I find light blue to make a beautiful companion color to the
>buff-pink-dusty rose-peach-orange tones.  One of my very favorite SDB
>combinations in my beds is TICKLED PEACH and RAIN DANCE.

That sounds wonderful.  In a non-iris bed, I once combined Phlox
stolonifera "Blue Ridge" with pansy  "Antique Shades" for a similar
effect.  (I'd do it again, but that bed dries out quickly in late spring.)

>Stippled, blended, or otherwise patterned irises often look best
>coupled with solid colored companions of complementary colors - yellows
>with browns, blues with greys, creams with khakis.  Brights often
>companion best with brights, and pastels with pastels.

Thank you!  This is just what I wanted to know.

Can SDBs be moved earlier than August?  Even if my photographs come out,
I'm not sure I'll be able to figure out which rhizome is which.  I want to
separate the strong yellow of MDB Zipper from buff, eggshell, and pale
lavender SDBs...

>But of course there are always exceptions to every rule, and what looks
>good to my eye may not look good to yours.  ;-)

Thank you for the pictures and the advice, Laurie!  And thank you for the
genetics info, Neil!

Yahoo! Groups Links