Re: SDB colors

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] SDB colors
  • From: Laurie Frazer laurief@paulbunyan.net
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 15:02:48 -0500

On May 14, 2005, at 2:10 PM, dawnsharon2001 wrote:

> Can SDBs be moved earlier than August?

That depends on your climate, I suppose.  If I'm moving or dividing
irises, I try to get them back in the ground no later than the end of
July up here in zone frigid.  SDBs are extremely tough and can handle
just about anything you throw at them.  I would think they could be
transplanted anytime as long as they have about 6 weeks to root in
before the first hard frost of fall.

>   Even if my photographs come out,
> I'm not sure I'll be able to figure out which rhizome is which.

Don't you have your clumps marked in the garden and/or mapped?  Or
perhaps they're growing so close to one  another that you can't
separate them easily?  You might consider using a paint marker to write
the name of the cultivars right on the leaves as they bloom so you'll
know what's what when you go to dig.

>  I want to
> separate the strong yellow of MDB Zipper from buff, eggshell, and pale
> lavender SDBs...

Zipper's a tough one to match up with anything.  If you like strong
contrast, try it next to one of the dark purples like Sparky.  I don't
have any darker brown MDBs to suggest.  Maybe Western Circles would
work.  It's a bright yellow with brown fall spot.  It might make a good
foil for Zipper, except that Zipper tends to bloom later than either WC
or Sparky.

I'll keep an eye on my MDBs and note which ones bloom simultaneously
with Zipper this year.  If I see any good matches, I'll let you know.

normal annual precipitation 26-27"

Yahoo! Groups Links