Re: Just one more that I like

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Re: Just one more that I like
  • From: thomas silvers tesilvers@yahoo.com
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 13:05:26 -0700 (PDT)

Donald and Debbie,
And Donald, you might have noticed that everything
I've been posting pictures of, is diploid, not the
typical tetraploid TB.
My plan is to breed for novel color patterns,
fragrance, rebloom, good branching and high budcount
at this diploid level. Some people may think that all
is done that can be done at the diploid level. I think
that there is a whole lot more potential.
I've been using the diploid species irises pretty
heavily, for example: ones that are prominent in
modern iris ancestry like pallida and variegata but
also the more obscure ones like suaveolens, cengialtii
and furcata.
I've also been using quite a few MTB's, since so many
of them are diploid; and also used a few diploid
historic irises.
I'm getting irises that range from SDB height all the
way to TB. And flower size from tiny (like a Siberian)
all the way to moderately large TB size. The flower
forms have been very variable and color range has been
fairly wide. Most everything has a least a slight
Anyway, to sum it up. There is already a lot of
variation to choose from, and I've really only just
Since this is the iris photos forum. I'll attach
another diploid picture. This one is 'Floridor' X
'Consummation' and is full TB height, although the
flower is a little on the smaller size and the stem is
a little more delicate than usually seen on a TB. Most
of its siblings are shorter, medium-purple selfs.

Discover Yahoo!

Yahoo! Groups Links