RE: Re: HYB: TB: Repeat stalks on seedlings & good pollen

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: TB: Repeat stalks on seedlings & good pollen
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 16:23:11 -0700

Yes, a ridiculous number get saved to see what they will do next year, and some get dug out to protect a seedling that may look terrible next year.

Linda, I read your messages on Iris Talk about pollen donors.  My best ones are Pink Champagne, Amethyst Winter, Happenstance, Romantic Evening and Lovely Dawn.  This spring two new ones had fertile pollen when it was very scarce.  They were Blyth’s Wearing Rubies and Ghio’s Act of Kindness.  I even set a pod on my 16-31 by the latter.  Act of Kindness had the most beautiful yellow/pink blossoms I have ever seen, huge, laced and bubble ruffled.  It also had only six flowers on about a twenty four inch stalk.  16-31 has 36” stalks, 9 to 11 buds and small to medium flowers.  If only each can contribute its best qualities to its kids, not its worst!

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9