RE: the aril collar

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] the aril collar
  • From: arilbredbreeder@cs.com
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 14:02:23 -0400

"Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net> wrote:

>The white donut on the seed is where the arils get their name.  These seeds
>were from DUNSHANBE collected a couple of days ago. (Where is Gerry when you
>need him?)
>
>Donald Eaves
>donald@eastland.net
>Texas Zone 7b, USA

Great photo!  Exactly what some of our newcomers need to see to understand
what we're talking about.

I'd just add that these seeds show the typical "collar" of a pure aril pod
parent.  Arilbreds tend to produce smaller ones and the arils I've seen on
seeds from TB parents are smaller still.

Sharon McAllister