Re: HYB: seedling R 62-5 [Chris Darlington]

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: seedling R 62-5 [Chris Darlington]
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 21:15:23 -0400

Chris, I've been spreading FLUTE ENCHANTÉ pollen around on the best of the
best, and am about to run out of it and not much more of SOLAR FIRE either.
Next stop, Christopherson's flounced IN A HEARTBEAT and HEARTBEAT AWAY.
There's a bloom or two left of them.  The seasons have almost missed each
other, those all Midseason with the Christopherson yellows a bit later than
the other two, but this pink one into the Late category.

I'll be able to make the crosses in the morning, I hope, unless it rains yet
again.  At least that was the plan.....  That's as close as I've been able
to come to the SAGE plan, dealing with the realities of what is blooming,
what isn't.

Rain has spoiled an awful lot of pollen these past three years, but we had
so deep a deficit on rainfall I don't think we've caught up yet despite five
months of deluge in '03, three hurricane remnants in '04 then losing ground
again with a short haul every month so far this year--running at 60% of
normal--until iris season, of course. Rain every other or every third day,
some of it cloudburst-level thunderstorms, along with some small, sharp
hail.  Sounds like the spring everyone else on both east and the north-west
coasts have been having.  I've never seen so much soft rot as in '03 and
again this year....I hear the same from others.

Glad you like the seedling.  The photo does present it rather well, but it
is an honest one for color--creamy falls bordered lacey peach-toned pink,
laced peach-toned pink standards and a warm tangerine beard ending with a
suggestion of violet at the end.  I rather like that last touch.

Neil Mogensen  z 7  Reg 4  western NC mountains