Re: HYB: R 16-9(photo included) [Harold Peters remark]

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: R 16-9(photo included) [Harold Peters remark]
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 07:58:29 -0400

Chris and Harold, I take it the "low opinion" refers to the introducers of
the "1950-haft marks" irises, and I heartily agree.

Some of Barry Blyth's irises with strongly patterned falls have gotten my
positive attention.  He seems to be the primary one who has successfully
challenged the bias many of us learned about "hafts."  After all, this
patterning is part of their ancestral heritage, and on the *variagata*
species and early hybrids was sometimes incredibly beautiful.  I always
loved HONORABILE, one of the first irises I got to know.

Many of those Harold find objectionable are those I do too.  It all depends,
as he says, on whether the character adds or detracts from the flower.

In crosses between Happenstance and Vienna Waltz and Power Woman, which has
a very clean, solid Umbrata fall like Romantic Evening, I was shocked by the
general run of the seedlings.  This R 16-9 was one of the few exceptions I
found interesting enough because of its form and substance, perfect for a
BB, but since getting used to it, I've taken a new look at some of the
others.  I've marked a few as "keepers," although I thought the cream of the
crop were a very smooth warm orchid-rose, and a white banded yellow, a
couple that lacked the markings entirely, not inheriting the Umbrata at all.

One of the Vienna Waltz and Power Woman cross I like rather a lot just for
the fun of growing it is a light brown with brownish rose "broken Umbrata."
It isn't intro material, but sure has a good garden presentation.  I haven't
photographed it yet, as my battery got so low yesterday afternoon I had to
put in the charger for the next two to three hours to bring it to full
charge, deferring any more photos to today.  Using the LCD screen sure eats
up power.

DECADENCE is going to be opening two blooms today, I think, and I haven't
the foggiest how to use its pollen...if it produces any.  Few have this
year.  This might be one of the second or third list possibilities.

Neil Mogensen

Yahoo! Groups Links