haft marks

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] haft marks
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 22:01:52 -0500

I think that the definition of haft marks needs to be redone or have some
modifying adjectives added.  When someone says 'haft marks', I think of
something along the lines (pun intended) of this seedling.  I don't conjure
up the pattern exhibited by Ruby Delight.  Lines on the 'haft' of the fall
are what comes to mind.  Like what can be seen in Indian Chief or Coralie.
Personally I've never understood the fuss or the objection.  Most of the
time I find haft marks innocuous at worst.  Throat markings are so much a
part of so many blooms, especially those from bulbous type plants, they just
seem natural.  Lines that cluster around the beard but aren't on the hafts
don't really seem like haft marks to me.  Nor does strong expression of
lines such as Panama Hattie or Notorious bring anything remotely mindful of
what I think of as haft marks.  Does the extensive lines that emerge more
and more strongly as the bloom fades on Vibrations quality as haft lines?
Crossed with a solid red that has a tendency to remove lines they recede to
an area around the beard and down the fall, but not so much on the hafts.
That's what happened when it was crossed with Satan's Mistress. I went to
the HIPS webpage and just went down the list of photos in alphabetical order
for a while.  Some of those oldies wouldn't have much character if the lines
were removed.  I tried to imagine them gone and what was left wasn't better
all too often.  There is a lot of variation in what can be seen there.  It's
not really enough to just describe something as having 'haft marks'.  I
chose this seedling for an example because I think the marks on it really
qualify as haft marks.  I also think they don't add anything to the
appearance of the bloom.  On the other hand I don't look at the bloom and
start going "Egad, look at the awful haft marks".  They aren't the feature
that jumps out when viewing the bloom in the garden, though this photo
caught them pretty strongly.  I didn't want to select an intro by a current
or past hybridizer, though I was sorely tempted to use Olive Orchid since
the 'olive' part of the name was surely derived from the strong haft
markings.  Somehow, and I know it may be impossible just from perusing the
photos on the HIPS site, there needs to be a more comprehensive description
when referring to haft marks.

IMHO.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net