Re: [iris] ReHYB: question - genetics of haft marks?[Griff Crump]

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: [iris] ReHYB: question - genetics of haft marks?[Griff Crump]
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 14:27:33 -0400

Rationale in making the cross of Great Gatsby X Romantic Evening?

I was just beginning to re-acquire irises, and had twelve newly set
varieties, six of which bloomed that first year of my reentry into iris
growing.  Keith Keppel worked with me over a three year period on selecting
and obtaining superior breeding stock until I had refreshed my memory of the
genetics involved, studied a raft of pedigrees and read every Bulletin,
catalog and entry on Iris-talk and Iris-photos I could take in to try to get
a handle on what was what so that I could make selections on my own from the
multitude of irises offered on the market.

About seven to eight generations of breeding had gone by during my diversion
from irises into other rather intense involvements, so I had some serious
catchup to do.  I've been partial to Keppel, Blyth and Ghio introductions
all along, partly because I'd known both Keith and Joe Ghio since around
1960, and the close association between Barry Blyth and both the others was
not exactly hidden.  Their tastes and mine had some similarities, and I was
comfortable with the criteria they used in selecting and naming their
releases.  Bit by bit I've branched out to others as I've gotten to know the
lines and seen some of the irises.

Limited space dictates I can't grow all the ones I'd like to grow, so I have
to stay focused on narrow objectives--something I find, and have always
found, difficult.  Now the temptation to start new projects is irresistable
and I'm getting swamped by resources, crowded for space and at a loss at
where to cut to what I can take care of.  I think I have the same addictions
we all seem to share.....

My stated objective was purple-to-lilac and rose colors, ultimately a
recreation of PATIENCE in modern dress as the central target.  The reason
this cross got made is that both parents bloomed, were fertile and both had
the anthocyanin pigments.  I wasn't after bicolors, and knew that it was a
simple (weak) dominant, as I had worked with Whole Cloth, Melodrama and
seedlings therefrom.  That's as much rationale as I can offer.

The other cross that survived the neighbor's cat playing with my tags and
breaking the stalks was the Swingtown X Romantic Evening cross from which
Power Woman and two other seedlings of quality came.  The cat had actually
broken that stalk also, but it still had a little bit of connection to the
rhizome, so I very carefully did not disturb the stalk laying on the ground.
The pod matured enough to allow seeds to mature enough that they could
germinate and survive.

A good look at Great Gatsby convinced me it is a carrier of one dose of the
dominant amoena, but I'd be hard pressed to say where in the pedigree it
would have arisen, but I was after selfs,  not bicolors anyway.

As it turned out, this was by far the best seedling from the cross.  I felt
I was probably wasting my time in using it, but its seedlings have had far
more branching than it has.  I won't hesitate again.  Apparently the
genetics of branching come and go.  Well branched parents do not always give
well branched offspring, and vice versa, even though superior tends to breed
superior, just like with any other trait.

The cross produced this near-amoena, one dark self with no bicolor effect at
all, and ten seedlings of minor bitone to almost bicolor, more due to the
Umbrata in Romantic Evening than to its I(s) dominant amoena.

This seedling seems to have two doses of I(s) judging from its offspring.

Many of its seedlings have also had very wide hafts, much like some but not
all RE descendents.

I have kept a couple fans of this seedling each discard and reset, as I like
the flower and enjoy it, especially in early morning or late evening light,
when its colors seem extraordinarily luminous.

Neil Mogensen  z  7  Reg  4  western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Links