Re: Re: [iris] ReHYB: question - genetics of haft marks?[Griff Crump]

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: [iris] ReHYB: question - genetics of haft marks?[Griff Crump]
  • From: "jgcrump" jgcrump@erols.com
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 16:14:38 -0400

Neil  --  I see we've been proceeding along similar lines, with your efforts
informed by better knowledge of genetics.  I have Gatsby, but never thought
of crossing it with Romantic Evening.   The color of your seedling, though,
is what I would have principally expected from that cross.  I tend more to
use like-to-like (blue-to-blue, red-to-red) or very sharp contrasts (yellow
to red, etc.) in crossing colors.  At the moment, having done all that for
this year, I'm departing from my like-to-like color habit and doing some
strictly-for-form crosses, without regard to colors.  It will be interesting
to see what happens.

The number of neighbors' cats has declined, and there is a population
explosion of chipmunks in my home gardens.  Saw four cavorting on the patio
just this morning.  Friendly and half tame, but they're undermining
everything.  Don't hurt the irises, though. --  Griff

zone 7 in Virginia