Re: HYB: culling New seedlings (from photos)

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: culling New seedlings (from photos)
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 07:22:09 -0400

They don't look bad to me, but I certainly don't qualify as a pro (yet

My suggestion re: throwing things away - if you have room, keep them
until you have something else you like better.  This year, I found it
was really easy to throw away most of the healthy, yellow HARVEST OF
MEMORIES look alike seedlings, including those that rebloomed, because
now I have a few HoM seedlings that I really like and wanted the room.
Last year, I got rid of some, but couldn't bring myself to get rid of
most of them.

After 2 bloom seasons, the 'better' seedlings are pretty obvious.
"Better" being seedlings that are a step closer to your goals.

Once seedlings start to take over your growing space, it helps to focus
on your hybridizing goals and try to get rid of seedlings that aren't
getting closer to those goals than the parents were.

Most of my seedlings are still pretty dreadful, but most are closer
towards my goals.  The most amusing feedback I'm getting re: one of my
seedlings being grown by several folks is that it is too weedy.  Grows a
little bit too much, too fast, too healthy <g>  It has a lot of other
more serious faults, but this "complaint" is one I can live with <g>.

<Guess I wanted to have something spectactular come forth despite my
innocence to hybridizing!  LOL  Here are a few seedlings that
                   are nothing like I expected.  Fairly nice form, some
nice colors, but kind of boring.  Got to admit that a couple of them
have wonderful bunches for thier youth and good form on the stock...so
now I must
                   learn what to keep and what to "throw out"....ouch!
That was hard to even think! :)
                   Sulking in Lascassas...........Linda>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links