Re: Aura Light

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] Aura Light
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" jgcrump@cox.net
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 23:29:16 -0400

Colleen  --  I, too, like AURA LIGHT a lot and agree that it is one of the best yellow amoenas, although in my garden it grows rather short, and the branching isn't all that graceful.  It has produced some very nice seedlings for me, though, and, as you have said, it passes on those broad falls in some cases.  Unfortunately, it passes on the less desireable qualities in some cases, as well.  I also have SOPHIA, blooming for me for the first time in the 2d year after planting.  It is, in my opinion, a much superior iris in itself, but I haven't had the opportunity to judge any offspring yet.
I'm attaching a photo of 01S3 (Aura Light x Romantic Evening) in order to illustrate the broad falls that AURA LIGHT can pass on, but have to acknowledge that 01S3's low stature and crowded branching make its use as a breeder doubtful.  (I got so many crosses from it last year that we'll find out, though.)
I'm also attaching a photo of TESSIE THE TEASE (Aura Light x Lumalite), which Winterberry introduced for me this year, as an illustration of the good stuff that AURA LIGHT can produce.  --  Griff