RE: new seedlings

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] new seedlings
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 12:38:27 -0700

Hello, Linda,

Congratulations on your first seedlings.  I remember well the thrill of seeing my first pretty one.  That was only six years ago.  I remember also someone who said, “Never fall in love with a first year seedling.”  How far did wise heads ever get telling those who are young at heart never to fall in love!  I remember also someone who said, “If I ever forget the thrill of seeing a new seedling open, I will quit hybridizing, because it won’t be fun any more.”

One of my mottos has always been, “I’ll keep it until I need the space for something better.”  I try to remember that I don’t make these irises.  I choose the parents and plant the seeds, but God creates the flowers.  He has been very generous with me and has given me several that are not only beautiful but meet all my other criteria for growth, branching, bud count and substance.  Some even rebloom.  I have a few I am about to send out into the cruel world where judges will, at best, criticize them, at worst, ignore them.  They won’t care.  They will just keep blooming and perhaps make someone else’s yard more beautiful.

Congratulations again, you have started on a very exciting journey.  May many beautiful seedlings bloom for you along the way.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9