Re: HYB: summer crud (was PFCS6, another step...

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Re: HYB: summer crud (was PFCS6, another step...
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 17:15:43 -0400

<Linda, what is causing the brown on the ends of your foliage?
                    Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9>

The cause is constant rain, dew, and damp, mixed with days of heat and
100% humidity.  I haven't made much effort to figure out what types of
diseases, but am assuming mostly bacterial and fungal leaf spot.  Paul
Hill mentioned virus the other day - who knows. What I'm trying to breed
resistance against.  This one obviously doesn't have strong resistance,
making it much like the vast majority of cultivars on the market.  Not
what I want, but I have some other lines that have much better
resistance that I will try to mix with it.

Here's what the really bad ones look like by the end of bloom
season/beginning of summer.  Poor ol' ELECT LADY has beautiful blooms,
grows pretty well here, but falls apart when hit by the summer crud.
PFCS6 is more resistant to the crud than this.

I have some ELECT LADY in a pot this year, planned to try doctoring it
with fungicide, just for fun, but too busy to bother.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links