Re:Hyb- Broken colour SDB Seedling

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re:Hyb- Broken colour SDB Seedling
  • From: irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 19:01:36 -0400

I finally got a chance to peak at this photo today, that Robin possted
a few days ago.

I suspect that what you have here is a frost damaged flower that won't
produce this colouration consistently, if ever again. I get this sort
of thing with early flowers when there have been a few cold nights.
Raesons for saying this are
1) flower looks frost damaged at edges of falls and in tecture and form
of standards.
2) Streaking is of the sort sseen in light coloured  flowers that are
early bloomers.
3) anthocyanin is more prevalent  in  cold weather, ie early spring.
4) there is no plicata parentage, and broken colour is almost always
 from plicata parentage, at least one.  Those BC plants that seem to not
be from plicata parentage show plicata in their seedlings and sometimes
in point mutations where they  reveral a plicata pattern, as often seen
with Batik
5) Sometimes flowers show  BC pattern on fmaiden blom to never show it

Perhaps this one is an exception, but I suspect not.

Chuck Chapman

Try the New Netscape Mail Today!

You can search right from your browser? Its easy and its free.  See how.

Yahoo! Groups Links