Sports: Dumping irises! (can someone explain this?)

  • Subject: [iris-photos]Sports: Dumping irises! (can someone explain this?)
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 06:27:58 EDT

In a message dated 5/5/2006 9:49:03 P.M. Central Standard Time, nakihee@gmail.com writes:
<<  He said that there are occurences with diploid iris when the chromosomes falter and it can actually throw an unusual rhizome increase that is different from the mother rhizome.  He explained to me that this can't occur with tetraploids, because the chromosome makeup does not support it.>>

Linda, I'm definitely not an expert.  So maybe Chuck Chapman or someone else will address this further!

<<  Who knows.   But I plan on cutting this rhizome loose in the fall and planting it independently to see what occurs next year! :)  Have a great night >>

You should be able to examine the clump and tell if the purple rhizome is attached to the other rhizomes.  If so, it's a sport.  You should cut it lose NOW rather than wait until fall.  It can revert back if not cut lose.

In the case of a 'sport' the iris is usually exactly like the host iris but with some difference.  Most noticeable difference is color, but there can be other changes.

There is a white 'Beverly Sills' so I'm not quite sure how this fits with the diploid only theory!

My understanding is that 'sports' are very rare.

If you don't cross them, you can't  plant them!
Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6 ---
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Reblooming Iris - Home Page
iris-photos archives