Re: HYB: TB: Eaves "Schreiner blues" #10

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: TB: Eaves "Schreiner blues" #10
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 13:06:38 -0000

Linda,

> First of the 10 to bloom, but seems late enough here to avoid late
> freeze problems.  Look forward to seeing what this one does during
> summer rain - foliar health so far is <very> encouraging.  How has
bloom
> held up in your late freezes?

I've had freeze damage once, but still had a lot of bloom.  This bunch
would be M-L here.  The bigger problem is they are marginally too late
to bloom here and have suffered from the heat.  'Course in a 'normal'
year there is a very small window for optimum bloom.  I would guess
they are more likely to miss the late freeze effect provided there
isn't a really long warm spell during the winter.  At least I've seen
bloom on them every year since they began blooming the first year
after planting.

They can certainly get leaf spot, but they aren't as quick to get it
and withstand it better than the group the yellow came from.  I had
rot once; didn't treat it and couldn't tell there was anything missing
since they have increased well.  I may see both leaf spot and rot
after the hail.  Right now all the iris foliage is torn, bruised and
generally battered from the hail.  A lot of fans are flattened to the
ground and a good many are buried in a 6-8 inch layer of green oak
leaves and twigs.  Warm days with some humidity could show me more
things I'd rather not see.  There wasn't much leafspot this year, but
when I have a bad year, it's really virulent.  I haven't found
anything that really controls it when conditions are right.

That's a good shot of the stalk.  I presume the low bloom actually is
on a very low branch?  That is something this group does a lot.  I
don't know whether that's good branching or not, but I don't mind
since it usually still reaches the top or above the foliage.  Would be
hard to cut, though.  Often gives the effect of two stalks from the
rhizome.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Protect your PC from spy ware with award winning anti spy technology. It's
free.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/2gGylB/TM