Re: strange brew with Being Busy Chimera

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: strange brew with Being Busy Chimera
  • From: "Dan Meckenstock" dmeck@eaglecom.net
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 14:43:48 -0000

This strange brew is an interesting chimera. It is caused by a somatic
mutation in the carotenoid pathway early in the development of the
plant—perhaps as early as the first daughter cell division in the

Orville Fay reported a similar mutation in the 1950's but his was in
the flavonoid pathway. His apical flower was half blue and half white
where as lateral flower were either blue or white. He went on to
release increases from each side of the plant as a blue and white pair
and called them Good and Plenty.

The important thing about your flower is we can see the color of the
anthocyanin with and without the yellow carotenoid. When the
carotenoid is present the anthocyanin is in its red form, when absent
the anthocyanin is blue.

What I am wondering is how often this event happens. It seems to get
report about once in 50 years which means we may not live to hear
about the next one. So enjoy it while it lasts.

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, petalpusherpaul@... wrote:
> Here is something that happened with the first of the blooms on Being
> Busy...the dusty fall petals are because of the pine pollen that
falls at the  same
> time our SDBs bloom...Paul Hill

Yahoo! Groups Links