HYB: working with oldies - pallida F3

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] HYB: working with oldies - pallida F3
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 14:16:52 -0400

This one isn't anything to be excited about (low bud count, small
flowers, icky color, mediocre form, no branching, sickly plant) but
wanted to show those of you working with older cultivars a comparison of
parent from pallida breeding and child.

Just an example of how much form can change in a few generations, even
here in the vale where I have a hard time finding modern stuff that will
grow well enough to use for hybridizing.  I suspect those of you in
better climates with more to choose from could get this far in a single

Pod parent is the white one: (I. pallida x MULBERRY ROSE) X ?.

Pollen parent was VIZIER, the "best" cultivar blooming at the time with
pollen.  "Best" in this case only referring to flower characteristics.

Pod parent is incredibly robust, healthy, huge blooms, massive stalks,
stubbornly infertile.
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links

JPEG image