Re: strange brew with Being Busy Chimera

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: strange brew with Being Busy Chimera
  • From: "Dan Meckenstock" dmeck@eaglecom.net
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 18:18:21 -0000

What makes Paul's chimera rare is that it occurred during formation of
the seed, just after fertilization. Whether or not weather was in play
is anybody's guess. I am wondering if rhizomes cut from the red side
of the flower aren't red and rhizomes cut from the blue side remain
blue. If this is the case, then we know the mutation occurred very
early in the life of the plant.

In Paul's second picture (looking from top down), on the blue fall,
the veins in the haft appear red. This suggests the carotenoid pathway
in the haft and the fall is under different genetic control.

Which means, Linda if you are listening, you need to cross your light
blue amoena with a flower without haft markings (say a white self) if
you want to remove the yellow haft markings.

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, Autmirislvr@... wrote:
> I was not aware that chimeras were that uncommon.  I've seen several
> the years and thought they were the result of weather conditions.

Yahoo! Groups Links